Applying for Film Visa


Applying for Film Visa

Film Visa can be applied after receiving permission of shooting from Film Facilitation Office (FFO), Ministry of Information & Broadcasting.

Once a project has received shooting permission, the detailed particulars of all the members of the shooting team along with a copy of the Permission Letter issued by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting may be submitted to the Indian Diplomatic Mission in the country from which they would be departing for India, indicating their intention to shoot in India. Indian Missions/Posts abroad may consider granting Film Visa ‘(F) Visa’ to such applicants who are coming to shoot Feature Films, Reality TV & Web shows/series, Commercial TV serials/shows and Web shows/series in India, provided Ministry of Information and Broadcasting has approved the proposal.

The international cast and crew coming to India on a Film Visa for film shoot shall be employed by the Foreign company that sought permission to shoot the film in India. The company shall take the responsibility for these cast and crew. No registration will be required with FRRO/FRO concerned if the stay during each visit does not exceed 180 days. In case, the stay is expected to exceed 180 days, they should get themselves registered with FRRO/FRO concerned within two weeks of the expiry of 180 days. Further, if the aggregate stay in India on Film Visa exceeds 180 days in a calendar year, the foreigners will be required to get themselves registered with the FRRO/FRO concerned.


Film Visa application for recce should clearly declare the activities precisely and be sent as an email to The Indian Mission/ Posts may issue a Film visa for the appropriate duration for a location-based recce on the recommendation of the Ministry of I&B.

Clarity in issuing Visas to foreign technicians/crew coming to India to work in Ad film/AV commercial/Music Video/Feature Films etc.

In case of an Indian Company/Agency inviting an international cast, crew/technician to either work or be professionally associated with an Ad film/AV commercial/Music videos/feature film, etc., visa applications in such cases may be made in the Indian Diplomatic Mission/Post of their country. The embassy/mission may give the appropriate visa as per the Visa categories specified by the Ministry of Home Affairs.

For further details, please visit the website of Ministry of External Affairs at